The new global mHealth compendium has come out, produced by USAID (see the note below), and the direct link is http://www.africanstrategies4health.org/uploads/1/3/5/3/13538666/2016_mhealth_31may16_final.pdf
It is the sixth edition, and expected to be the last. It is worth reading – the intro is a 10 page summary of eexperience (evidence, best tools, best resources, what you need to consider for sustainable scale). Then there case studies of the 10 most significant projects. They are:
– Airtel Insurance (health micro-insurance in 7 African countries)
– Aponjon (maternal health messaging in Bangladesh, part of MAMA)
– cStock (medical supply chain in Malawi)
– iCCM (mobile tool for health workers doing integrated community case management in Malawi)
– Kilkari (maternal health messaging via voice, train community health workers in India)
– mHERO (health worker SMS messaging for targeted care, in 6 countries mainly in West Africa)
– MomConnect (maternal health messaging fully in health system in South Africa)
– mSOS (disease surveillance reporting in Kenya)
– RapidSMS Rwanda (preventing maternal & child death in 1,000 days in Rwanda)
– U-Report (preventing adolescent AIDS through mobile counselling and polling in Uganda).
There is a lot to learn from here.
HIFA profile: Peter Benjamin is SA director of HealthEnabled, South Africa. Professional interests: Digital health, mHealth, Empowerment through health information. Email address: peter AT healthenabled.org